Bamboozled by futuristic fabrics and fashion forward shapes? Fear of falling into a Black Hole on planet Fashion Victim? Worried about coming off looking like Ziggy Stardust stepped out of a Lost in Space episode?
Allow me to propel you at warp speed to a galaxy not so far far away, where celestial chic uber-beings are swathed sublimely in gorgeously shimmering silks, and super sexy Barbarella inspired goddesses roam freely. And the cyber Michelin Man has crash landed on Planet Bulky for all eternity.
Image via pinterest
Follow Alex’s tips below to look out of this world fabulous:
As a 60’s child, I confess to having a fascination with all things futuristic. However this look can go horribly wrong – ground control to Major Tom. Beam me up from bad 80s lame harem pants, overwrought clumsy Thriller jackets and cyber space creature couture.
1. The trick is NOT to dress head to toe in futuristic shapes and fabrics. Steer away from the “armoured fem-bot fetale from a Kylie film clip” look. Pick ONE exaggerated fashion-forward piece and let it shine its own unique star light.
2. Futuristic Fabrics such as hard edged leathers, latex and waxed fabric need to be offset against soft luxurious cashmere knits and sheer delicate silks for optimum off-the-planet chic. Metallics, like any fabric with liquid sheen – work best when allied with tonal peacemakers grey, beige, white or black. Choose the simplest shapes to showcase futuristic fabrics to their best potential, or risk looking like an alien creature battling a supersonic explosion of foiled fabric.
3. Exaggerated shapes: Aim for the quadrant of sculptured silhouettes with clean minimalist lines that are deceptively simple. Scan your fashion radar for clever cut-outs, tiny cinched in waists, full tulip skirts, pointed exaggerated shoulders, cocoon “pod” shaped lightweight coats and bold monochromatic looks with a pop of colour or geometric prints.
4. The Jacket: Think slightly military detailing, add the metal studs of a rock chic, nipped in waistlines and moulded shoulders of edgy motorbike cool. It’s kind of a refined version of the Thriller-meets-Bladerunner jacket in super soft kid leather. The tailored shape will flatter any figure type and nip in any waist. Wear it in metallic leather and you are off the planet molten HOT. Throw it over a pretty, draped rouched dress in sheer flirty fabric for maximum asteroid impact.
5. The Pant: You essentially need to have android whippet thin pin legs to carry off a metallic leather pant, or risk a “Snookie flies to the moon” moment. Team shiny, slick pants sprayed on tight, with a delicate loose sheer singlet top made from the softest knit or georgette for the ultimate in super sleek “Tron” glamour.
So now your course is set for a glamorous future. Let The Force guide you towards all manner of fashion-forward fabulousness.
Feature image via pinterest