Uneven skintone, pigmentation, dull, lifeless skin… The struggles of these skin concerns are all very real. If you’re scratching your head as to why these conditions affect you, and why your skincare isn’t helping, we’ve found the answers!
By Kate-Marie Thorpe
Estee Lauder’s Executive Director of Skin Biology, Dr Nadine Pernodet informs that uneven skintone is characterised by visible tonality changes in certain places on the face and not others.
“The key signs of uneven skintone include redness, blotchiness, discolorations, acne marks, sun spots, dullness and dark spots. Uneven skintone becomes apparent when light on skin’s surface is now not reflected in a uniform way. This is a concern for women of all ages and ethnicities and can be caused by a variety of different factors, such as allergies and environmental assaults, including UV exposure and pollution.”
Pigmentation is one of the most difficult conditions to pinpoint a cure for, but it doesn’t have to be, says Dr. Joseph Hkeik, Cosmetic Physician and resident RESCU expert.
“Pigmentation is caused by an excess production of melanin by the melanocytes (cells responsible for pigment production), which is taken up by the keratinocytes (epidermal pigmentation) or deposited into the dermis (dermal pigmentation). Melasma, one type of facial pigmentation, is a chronic skin condition that results in symmetrical, blotchy, brownish facial pigmentation.”
If you’ve suffered from pigmentation without relief, it may come down to using products that don’t contain the right combination of ingredients. When it comes to getting a brighter, more even complexion, look for Alpha hydroxy acid, salicylic acid and vitamin A.
These all play a role in treating superficial pigmentation as well as peeling the skin in order to help the tyrosinase inhibitors (most effective class of ingredients to treat pigmentation) penetrate deep into the skin for better results.
When selecting cosmeceutical solutions, make sure the ingredients include Waltheria Indica Leaf Extract, nanopeptide 1, oxyresveratol, Gigawhite complex, niacinamide , tetrapeptide 30 and Melanostatine-5, recommends Dr. Hkeik.
To make your task of narrowing down the best remedies for glow-getting skin simple, we’ve compiled our list of the 8 best brightening products around for every skin concern:
1. Hard at work while you rest, this silky lightweight fluid from Estee Lauder will transform your skin overnight. Reveal natural vibrancy with the Enlighten Dark Spot Correcting Night Serum, which ‘dissolves’ dark spots in less than 2 weeks. Yes please!
RRP $140 50ml from Estée Lauder counters nationwide and online at esteelauder.com.au
2. Providing refreshment and restoration, Jurlique’s Purely White Skin Brightening Night Cream is a light regenerating formula for before bedtime. It reduces the appearance of discolourations, evens skin tone and improve skin radiance, so you’ll be well on your way to ‘enbrightenment’ when you wake from your beauty sleep.
RRP $79 from Myer, David Jones, Jurlique Concept Stores and jurlique.com.au
3. Shiseido’s new Bio-Performance Glow Revival Serum is a girl’s best friend when it comes to reviving you skin to its glory days. This revolutionary serum aids capillaries under the surface for a complexion radiant with clarity – Amen to that!
RRP $120 from selected Myer stores
4. Sydney-based CR Formulations are changing the game with their Lighten Up formula. Bearberry dramatically evens out colour and tone on the skin’s surface, while White Mulberry and Liquorice Extract protect to keep your face glowing all day. A must have handbag essential for those long hauls and weekends away.
RRP $85 at crformulations.com.au
5. Sun-loving beauties will love Dermalogica Pure Light, a formula especially created to combat hyperpigmentation caused by harmful UV rays. Containing elements that increase SPF protection, this daytime skin savior lets you enjoy the outdoors while keeping you face protected.
RRP $92.50, call 1800 659 118 fro stockists
6. Step into the spotlight with Philosophy’s No Reason to Hide Moisturiser, which contains targeted active ingredients for brightening such as salicylic acid and Vitamin C. This multi-imperfection transformer contains a supercharged does of dermalogically-trusted ingredients, so you can bet it’s the safest thing to use on your face.
RRP $50 from March 1 in Selected David Jones Stores, davidjones.com.au, mecca maxima, meccacosmetica.com.au, skincarestore.com.au and adorebeauty.com.au
7. Australia’s leading name in cosmeceuticals, Ultraceuticals, delivers tried and tested brightening results with its Ultra Brightening Moisturiser Cream. Strengthening the skin’s lipid barrier to restore moisture levels, this cream is a must-have for any glow-getter.
RRP $109 from selected beauty salons, David Jones and ultraceuticals.com.au
8. Nothing shines brighter than gold, and Subtle Energies’ 50ml Mogra Rejuvenating Gold Cream contains 24 karats of the good stuff. Far more advanced than the bullion, active ingredients like Mogra promote collagen synthesis to keep the skin shining, youthful and radiant.
RRP $125 from selected spas and retail outlets, or online at subtleenergies.com.au
Catch our daily and monthly horoscopes here.