Want to spoil mum with something special, and recreate an old favourite without having to go through the lines at every cafe? Australian Eggs has the perfect recipe that will tick all the boxes, their creamy mushroom croque madame is simply delicious.
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
200g mushrooms, sliced
½ leek, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon plain flour
3/4 cup skim milk
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3/4 cup baby spinach leaves, plus extra to serve ( optional)
2/3 cup light tasty cheese, finely grated
4 large slices wholemeal sourdough
Finely chopped chives, to serve
Baby herbs, to garnish (optional)
1. Heat 2 tsp of oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms for 5 minutes, until golden brown. Season and remove from pan.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in the pan over medium heat. Cook leek for 4 minutes, until soft. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add milk, stirring to prevent any lumps. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring, or until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in the mustard and 1/3 cup of the cheese. Season to taste.
3. Spread leek mixture evenly onto 2 slices of bread. Top with a layer of mushrooms, spinach and the remaining cheese. Sandwich together with remaining bread. Toast in a sandwich press for 4 minutes, until golden brown and cheese has melted.
4. Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tsp of oil in a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Crack the eggs into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, until whites are set and yolks are still runny.
5. Top each sandwich with a fried egg to serve. Scatter with chives and baby herbs.
Catch our daily and monthly horoscopes here.