Looking for something simple, easy and quick to make for entertaining guests with some small nibbles before dinner or lunch is ready? These devilled eggs by Australian Eggs is the answer that will have everyone asking for more.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking: 18 minutes
12 eggs, at room temperature
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
12 spears small asparagus spears, trimmed
2 rashes bacon, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
smoked paprika, to serve
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add eggs and simmer for 10 minutes for hard-boiled eggs. Drain and stand in cold water. Crack shells and gently peel. Trim the base of each egg so they stand up. Trim a third the top off each egg and scoop out the egg yolk.
2. Place the egg yolks, sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl and mash until smooth.
3. Spoon the egg yolk mixture into a piping bag or zip-lock bag. Snip the end off the bag and pipe the filling back into the eggs. Place on a serving platter and refrigerate.
4. Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Add the asparagus and cook for 1 minute or until just tender. Drain and stand in cold water.
5. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook bacon for 3 minutes each side until golden and crisp.
6. Trim the asparagus tips to about 2cm and push into the filling (see tip). Serve the eggs topped with asparagus, chives, bacon and paprika.
– You can use the asparagus stems in salads, omelettes or tarts.
– These can be made up to a day ahead and kept, in an airtight container in the fridge.
Catch our daily and monthly horoscopes here.