From the chef who brought you the chicken, chorizo and leek pilaf, comes the latest addition to your weekly dinner line up; the sumptuous, succulent and down right delicious tabbouleh salad with barbecue lamb. The perfect solution for a light yet hearty feed as the weather warms up. You can thank TV chef and food author, Janelle Bloom for this one.
Tabbouleh Salad with Barbecue Lamb Recipe
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
3 tsp dried oregano
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tbs olive oil
1kg butterfly leg of lamb
Tabouleh rice salad
3/4 cup SunRice brown or organic brown rice, rinsed
11/2 cups water
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
Pinch caster sugar
3 medium tomatoes, quartered
1 Lebanese cucumber, halved
3 green onions, finely chopped
3 cups fresh flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1. For the tabbouleh rice salad; Put the rice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from the heat. Cover and set aside 10 minutes. Rinse under cold water then drain well. Spread onto a tray, refrigerate uncovered 30 minutes.
2. Combine the oregano, garlic, sugar, chilli and oil. Rub over both sides of the lamb. Put onto a plate, cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
3. Preheat a barbecue or char-grill on high. Barbecue lamb for 5 minutes each side. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover the barbecue with a hood or large upturned roasting pan and cook, 10 minutes for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a tray, set aside 15 minutes to rest.
4. Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice and sugar together in a large bowl. Season. Remove and discard the seeds from the tomatoes and cucumber, then dice and put into the bowl. Add the green onions, herbs and rice and mix until well combined.
5. Spoon the Tabbouleh rice salad onto a large serving plate, thinly slice the lamb and serve with Tabbouleh rice salad.
RESCU Recommends: SunRice rice & Lentils $4.93 available from supermarkets nationally.
Image: Easy gourmet recipe image supplied
Visit our online Education Hub RESCU Me Academy for our courses, free ebooks and resources.