Are you hosting guests this coming weekend? We’ve sourced the yummiest little treats that will tickle the fancy of both your party guests and the kids. Cassandra Fenaughty shares her Cashew and Sneaky Sausage Roll recipe from Wholesome Food For Busy Parents.
Makes 24 – 28 mini sausage rolls
1 small carrot
40–50 g (1 ½ oz) pumpkin
½ clove garlic
1 level teaspoon veggie
spread (yeast extract) or similar
2 slices of wholemeal bread
250 g (8 oz) lean beef mince
6-7 slices wholemeal bread
125 ml (4 fl oz) milk
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced (350°F/gas 4) and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place carrot, pumpkin, onion, garlic and veggie spread (yeast extract) into a food processor and puree. Add bread, mince and egg and blend until well combined. Set aside.
3. Lay bread slices out on a clean work surface and using a rolling pin roll out the bread firmly. Cut off crusts.
4. Pour milk in a shallow bowl and soak rolled out bread slices on each side.
5. Lay soaked bread on clean board and spoon a thin sausage shaped length of mince mixture down the centre of each slice. Put enough mince mixture in so that when the bread wraps over the mince the edges join and do not overlap. Be careful not to overfill.
6. Place long sausage rolls join-side down on baking tray and cut into 4 mini sausage rolls each.
7.Whisk egg and brush sausage rolls with a generous egg wash. Follow with a light sprinkling of sesame seeds.
8. Bake in oven for 20–30 minutes