Hosting the next event or need to bring something to your next gathering? We have you sorted. This deliciously moist chocolate sponge cake by Stacey Brewer Cakes will have everyone wanting to dig in immediately. Not only is this cake gluten free but also dairy free, so you’ll be sure no one will be missing out.
600g brown sugar
120g dark cocoa powder
360g tap water
6g bi carb soda
370g gluten free plain flour
12g gluten free baking powder
290g vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
2. Line 3 x 7” size cake tins with baking spray and baking paper.
3. In a medium size saucepan bring the water to the bowl. When the water is boiling, add the cocoa and bi carb soda and whisk together. Take off the heat and transfer to a bowl. Place in fridge to cool down.
4. In a stand mixer add your eggs and brown sugar. Mix until light and fluffy in texture.
5. Add the oil.
6. Add half the cool cocoa mixture.
7. Add half the dry ingredients and scrape down the bowl.
8. Add remaining cocoa mixture.
9. Add remaining dry ingredients.
10. Evenly divide the cake mixture into your 3 cake tins.
11. Bake until cooked when inserting cake skewer. Let cool.
Ingredients for buttercream and decoration
250g Nuttelex orginal
400g pure icing sugar
100g dark cocoa powder
Flowers to decorate
Method for buttercream
1. Place the Nuttelex into a bowl and cream with an electric mixer until white and fluffy.
2. Slowly add sifted cocoa and icing sugar, make sure the mixer is on slow speed or else the cake will go everywhere.
3. Scrap down bowl until buttercream is all incorporated.
1. Place first cake on a display plate or rustic cake board.
2. Use 1/3 of the amount of buttercream on top of this layer, make sure you are pushing the buttercream out to the edges so it overhangs a little. Use sliced strawberries and raspberries half to push into the buttercream.
3. Repeat this step.
4. Top layer using the last of the buttercream. Finish with whole berries and flowers to decorate.
Visit our online Education Hub RESCU Me Academy for our courses, free ebooks and resources.