If you’re looking for a breakfast recipe to entertain the family, then Bridget Davis’ pikelet pancake recipe is your ultimate answer to having everyone starting the day right.
5 large (size 7) eggs
300 g (10ó oz) ricotta cheese
200 g (7 oz) gluten-free self-raising flour
240 ml (8 fl oz) Buttermilk
4 tsp butter
maple syrup, to serve
1. Firstly, separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. The best way to do this is to crack the eggs across the middle as normal, then, with the cracked halves positioned over a large bowl, carefully transfer the yolk between the two half-shells, allowing the whites to drain naturally from the yolk into the waiting bowl as you transfer it back and forth.
2.Take your time with this step, as you need to ensure that the whites are totally yolk-free, otherwise they won’t whip up to stiff peaks. Place the leftover yolks into another mixing bowl.
3. Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the egg whites for 2–3 minutes, or until they form stiff peaks.
4. Add the ricotta cheese, gluten-free flour and buttermilk to the yolks and stir until it’s streak free. Add the stiff whites and fold to combine. (Be gentle with this step, as you don’t want to knock the air out of the whites.)
5. Heat a large heavy-bottomed frying pan on medium–high and add 1 teaspoon of the butter and a spray of cooking oil. One the butter is sizzling, add 3–4 large spoons of the batter and allow the pancakes to cook for 1–2 minutes, before carefully flipping them over to cook on the other side for a further 2 minutes.
6. Remove the pancakes from the pan. Ideally, serve them immediately with a jug of maple syrup while you continue to cook the remaining batter.
SECRETS + TIPS
It’s vital that the eggs are at room temperature and not cold from the fridge – this will hinder the whipping process, as will using greasy or unclean bowls and utensils. If your eggs are cold, submerge them in a bowl of warm (but not hot) water for 10 minutes before using.
Try serving your pancakes with grilled figs or fresh banana.
128 Recipes is now available for purchase.
Visit our online Education Hub RESCU Me Academy for our courses, free ebooks and resources.