Jayson Brunsdon’s interpretation of rich girl chic is always spot on. His effortless channelling of old school glamour, as though you are leafing through the pages of a 1960s Vanity Fair magazine or a Slim Aarons pool party shoot, made this show a highlight and favourite of ours last week.
The clothes and the models that appeared on the runway had polish, poise and ‘can’t touch this’ attitude. We loved the candy coloured mix of terry towelling shifts, 60s lounge dresses and Stepford Wives frocks. The fabrics were luxe and the cuts always flattering. That’s what he does best.
Collaborating with long time friend and fellow style maker Joh Bailey, this show clearly cemented Jayson Brunsdon’s reputation as an internationally acclaimed design talent and gentleman of the highest order.
To make sure we were in the loop, we asked Joh about his inspiration, and how we can create this hairstyle at home…
The hair was inspired by Jayson’s light, summery clothes and poolside glamour. I wanted the clothes to do most of the talking and keep the hair simple and complementary.
It’s a simple side-parted low pony, with a touch of backcombing at the crown. The main product we used is really TRESemme Salon Hold Hairspray to manage fly-aways and keep hair sleek and polished.
The look is sleek and pretty, think chic lounging around a Slim Aarons inspired pool party and summers in Australia.
Joh Bailey explains how to get this look:
1. Wash hair with TRESemme Salon Silk shampoo and conditioner as this is all about sleek and shiny hair.
2. Prep towel-dried hair with TRESemme 24 Hour Body Weightless Mousse.
3. Start blow-drying the hair using a paddle brush. Blow dry in random sections, pulling one way while drying, and then the other. This helps keep hair straight and avoids any cowlicks or frizz.
4. This hair is sleek, but not poker straight. It has a subtle curl to the ends of the ponytail, so slightly curl the brush as you blowdry the ends. Keep blow-drying until all the hair is done.
5. Part hair to your preferred side, and make it quite a deep part, around halfway between the top of the ear and the centre part.
6. Pull back into a low ponytail loosely, allowing hair to cover over the ear of the non-parted side.
7. Use a clear or hair-coloured hair band and wrap tightly so that the ponytail has a voluptuous effect. Wrapping the hair around the band is too formal for this look, so just stick with the hair band.
8. Smooth hair with a spritz of TRESemme 24 Hour Body Finishing Spray.
TRESemme Salon Silk shampoo and conditioner, RRP $11.99 each
TRESemme 24 Hour Body Weightless Mousse, RRP $7.95
TRESemme 24 Hour Body Finishing Spray, RRP $7.95
For more hair styling tips, visit www.johbailey.com.au
Visit our online Education Hub RESCU Me Academy for our courses, free ebooks and resources.