Wholefoods chef, health coach and author Lee Holmes’ Lettuce Leaf Burrito recipe is even more delicious than the traditional kind! Serve with a dollop of avocado and a sprinkling of nutritional yeast flakes and you won’t believe what you’ve been missing.
Lettuce Leaf Burrito Recipe
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 kg organic minced (ground) beef
1 tablespoon additive-free tomato paste (concentrated purée)
1 bunch English spinach, leaves chopped
2 zucchini (courgettes) grated
3 tomatoes, diced
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
12 large whole cos (romaine) lettuce leaves
1 avocado, peeled, stone removed and mashed
130g (1/2 cup) plain, full-fat additive-free Greek-style yoghurt
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat for 5 minutes.
2. Add the mince and cook, stirring occasionally and using a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 10 minutes.
3. Add the tomato paste, spinach, zucchini, tomatoes and spring onions and stir for another 15 minutes. Season to taste.
4. Place a lettuce leaf on each plate. Divide the mince evenly over the top of the lettuce.
5. Top with a spoonful of avocado and yoghurt, sprinkle with yeast flakes, wrap and enjoy.
This recipe appears in Lee Holmes’ latest book ‘Eat Yourself Beautiful’ Visit: superchargedfood.com to order