Australia Day is just around the corner and we’re planning to a pretty serious cook up for the long weekend celebrations. On the top of our list is the finger-food favourite and comforting classic the sausage roll.
We’ve got two delicious sausage roll recipes to try out; one a gourmet lamb, mint and macadamia offering and, so as not to count out those guests who don’t eat meat, the second is a vegan sausage roll recipe so good some of the carnivores may even get into them!
Lamb, mint and macadamia sausage rolls recipe
500g lamb sausage mince or remove the meat from lamb sausages
1/2 brown onion, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 zucchini, grated
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1 stick celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh mint
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup macadamias, toasted and coarsely chopped
salt and pepper
2 sheets puff pastry, cut in half
sesame seeds for sprinkling
1 egg, (extra) lightly whisked with 1 tablespoon of water
1. Preheat oven to 200c, fan-forced
2. Line baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
3. Place all the ingredients, except the pastry, extra egg and sesame seeds into a large bowl, season with salt and pepper and using your hands massage the ingredients together.
4. Place the lamb mixture along the long edge of the pastry half and brush the other edge with egg wash and roll to enclose leaving the ends open. Cut into half and place onto prepared trays.
5. Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
Recipe courtesy Australian Macadamias
Vegan Sausage Rolls Recipe
image via pinterest
1 brown onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup raw cashews, finely chopped
300g extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled
100g wholemeal breadcrumbs
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon “smoked” paprika
1 tablespoon light soy milk
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
3 slightly-thawed vegan puff pastry sheets
tomato sauce/ketchup to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper
2. In a bowl, add all ingredients except the puff pastry sheets and tomato sauce and mix until combined. Slightly mash the mince for a more combined texture.
3. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions
4. Cut the three slightly-thawed puff pastry sheets in half to make a total of 6 rectangles
5. Place the sausage mince mixture into the centre of the rectangles and make a long sausage longways down the pastry sheet
6. Use your finger to wet the edges of the pastry sheet and fold them over
7. Place the rolls on the baking tray and cut them all in half to make a total of 12 sausage rolls
8. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and puffy
9. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Chef’s Note: Brushing the pastry with soy milk makes the pastry crunchier and puffier with a more golden colour.
Recipe courtesy Vitasoy
Catch our daily and monthly horoscopes here.