Running short on time, but still looking for a nutritious and delicious meal? Then founder of TIFFXO, Tiffany Hall’s slow cooked lamb shanks is the perfect dish to complete your night. You’ll be able to run around the house and finish up loose ends or simply finish binge watching your favourite show before dinner is served.
Prep time 10 mins
Cook 2 hours
2 small lamb shanks
1 tsp olive oil
salt & pepper, to taste
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves picked & finely chopped
3 cups beef stock
1 cup tomato passata
1 celeriac, peeled & 3 cm diced
1/2 lemon, juice & zest
2 tbs chopped fresh parsley, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 150°C.
2. Heat oil in a large ovenproof saucepan over high heat. Rub shanks with oil, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, turning a few times until browned. Set aside.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add onion, garlic, carrot and rosemary and cook for 5 minutes until onion is translucent.
4. Stir through stock and passata and return shanks to pot. Bring to boil, reduce to a simmer, cover tightly with lid, and transfer to over to cook for 2 hours, or until meat falls off the bone. Adjust seasoning.
5. Thirty minutes before lamb is cooked, place celeriac in a saucepan, cover with cold water, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving sufficient water to mash with 2 tsp lemon juice. Adjust seasoning.
6. Combine parsley and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.
7. Divide celeriac between two plates, top with shanks and scatter over zest and parsley to serve.
Catch our daily and monthly horoscopes here.