Eating lean meat and vegetables night in and out can become a little dull if you’re returning to the same fail-safe recipes. Instead of resigning yourself to a bland diet, try this divine salmon recipe with brown rice and an edamame salad. Light yet creative and a perfect alternative to a Sunday roast.
Image via pinterest
Teriyaki salmon with brown rice and edamame and radish salad
1 cup brown rice
1 3⁄4 cups water
Pinch of salt
300g salmon fillet (skin on)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon runny honey
3 tablespoons soba sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Edamame & Radish Salad
2 cups finely shredded cabbage
1 small or 1⁄2 large carrot
1⁄2 medium beetroot
1 cup edamame beans
Suggested Wine Match: Lightly fruited Sauvignon blanc
- Combine brown rice, water and salt in a small pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it comes to the boil, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat.
- Cook on lowest heat for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid at any time during cooking.
- Cut salmon into 2cm-thick slices and place in a bowl. Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce and honey and pour over salmon. Leave to marinate at room temperature while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Mix dressing ingredients together in a bowl and add shredded cabbage to marinate in dressing. Peel and shred or grate carrot; thinly slice radishes and cut into thin matchsticks; peel and shred or grate beetroot (or cut into matchsticks); Pour boiling water over edamame beans and leave for a few minutes before draining. Add carrot, radish, beetroot and edamame to cabbage and toss with dressing.
- Heat a drizzle of oil (e.g. canola or soy) in a fry pan on medium to high heat. Cook salmon for 45-60 seconds each side or until caramelised and just cooked through.
- Add remaining marinade to pan and allow it to bubble for 30-45 seconds until a thick glaze. Spoon glaze over the salmon.
- Spoon some brown rice and salad onto each plate and top with slices of teriyaki salmon.
Catch our daily and monthly horoscopes here.