Eating lean meat and vegetables night in and out can become a little dull if you’re returning to the same fail-safe recipes. Instead of resigning yourself to a bland diet, try this divine salmon recipe with brown rice and an edamame salad. Light yet creative and a perfect alternative to a Sunday roast.
Image via pinterest
Teriyaki salmon with brown rice and edamame and radish salad
1 cup brown rice
1 3⁄4 cups water
Pinch of salt
300g salmon fillet (skin on)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon runny honey
3 tablespoons soba sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Edamame & Radish Salad
2 cups finely shredded cabbage
1 small or 1⁄2 large carrot
1⁄2 medium beetroot
1 cup edamame beans
Suggested Wine Match: Lightly fruited Sauvignon blanc
- Combine brown rice, water and salt in a small pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it comes to the boil, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat.
- Cook on lowest heat for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid at any time during cooking.
- Cut salmon into 2cm-thick slices and place in a bowl. Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce and honey and pour over salmon. Leave to marinate at room temperature while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Mix dressing ingredients together in a bowl and add shredded cabbage to marinate in dressing. Peel and shred or grate carrot; thinly slice radishes and cut into thin matchsticks; peel and shred or grate beetroot (or cut into matchsticks); Pour boiling water over edamame beans and leave for a few minutes before draining. Add carrot, radish, beetroot and edamame to cabbage and toss with dressing.
- Heat a drizzle of oil (e.g. canola or soy) in a fry pan on medium to high heat. Cook salmon for 45-60 seconds each side or until caramelised and just cooked through.
- Add remaining marinade to pan and allow it to bubble for 30-45 seconds until a thick glaze. Spoon glaze over the salmon.
- Spoon some brown rice and salad onto each plate and top with slices of teriyaki salmon.
Visit our online Education Hub RESCU Me Academy for our courses, free ebooks and resources.