Nothing says festive like a stuffed roast turkey. Impress family and friends with a glorious roast Turkey on the table this Christmas Day and use this delicious recipe to create the most fabulous stuffing created by Lenard’s Celebrity Culinary Coach, Elle Harrison.
250g fresh white breadcrumbs
200g diced bacon or smoked pancetta
2 brown onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Grated zest 1 orange
2 tbsp chopped thyme
60g walnuts, chopped
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
2 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 180C and slightly grease a terrine or loaf tin with butter.
2. Bring a medium frying pan to a high heat. Add the diced bacon or smoked pancetta and cook for 2-3 minutes until just starting to sizzle and turn golden. Remove from the pan onto paper towel using a slotted spoon, retaining the fats in the frying pan. Add the butter, onions and garlic and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Place the bacon or smoked pancetta into a large bowl along with the onions and garlic. Set aside to cool.
4. Once cooled, add the breadcrumbs, orange zest, thyme, walnuts, maple syrup and cinnamon into the onion mixture and using your hands, combine well. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Add enough of the egg at a time to bind the mixture together, but not make it sloppy.
5. Place the stuffing mixture into your pre-greased tin and cook for 45 minutes or until golden on top and firm to touch. If the top is browning too quickly loosely cover with foil.
6. Allow to cool in the tin and slice to accompany your Roast Turkey.
NOTE: A gluten-free version can also be created by substituting the fresh white breadcrumbs for gluten free breadcrumbs. Also, ensure that the maple syrup is pure as ingredients such as maple essence can have other additives that may not be gluten free.