Don’t miss out this holiday season! If you are living gluten-free
we have the perfect dish for you to bring to your next dinner party. We have sourced an amazing vegan
pumpkin pie from Rowie Dillon
in her debut cookbook The Power of Flour.
Sweetened with dates and maple syrup this pie will transport you to sweet pumpkin pie heaven.
– 1 1/2 kg (3 1/2 lb) pumpkin, peeled and coarsely chopped
– 21/2tbsp coconut oil, melted
– 35 g (1 oz) gluten-free cornflour (cornstarch)
– 200 ml (61/2fl oz) coconut milk
– 60 ml (2 fl oz) maple syrup, plus extra to drizzle (optional)
– 11/4tsp ground cinnamon
– 11/4tsp mixed spice
– a pinch of salt
– 1 batch of The Ultimate Pie Crust (see recipe page 42),blind baked
– 170 g (9 oz) fresh dates, pitted and chopped
– whipped coconut cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Roast the pumpkin and coconut oil in a baking dish for 40 minutes until tender. Set aside to cool then process the pumpkin in a food processor until smooth.
2. Whisk the cornstarch and coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat until smooth. Stir in the pumpkin, maple syrup, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 8–10 minutes until just boiling and nice and thick. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
3. Place the dates evenly in the blind-baked pie crust. Spread the pumpkin and coconut mixture over the top and use a spatula to smooth the surface.
4. Place in the fridge for 4–6 hours until set. Top with whipped coconut cream and a little drizzle of maple syrup if desired.
Recipe via Power of Flower Cookbook by Rowie Dillon