If you’re looking for something healthy and can still keep you warm during these chilly nights before summer hits, this buddha bowl recipe is your answer. Inspired by Purina Beyond, you can be sure this recipe is also friendly to share with your furry friend.
1/2 cup white vinegar
4 tsp sugar
2 finger sized knobs of ginger
1 carrot, scrubbed
1 1/2 cups brown rice (alternatively use a microwavable packet of ready cooked brown rice)
4 cups baby spinach leaves
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 tb black sesame seeds
Your choice of protein to serve: can of tuna, poached/grilled/roast chicken, sashimi, smoked salmon or trout, canned beans or chickpeas, hard-boiled egg or marinated firm tofu
2 tb tahini
2 tsp honey
1 tsp soy sauce
1. Divide the vinegar and sugar between two small bowls. Add a . cup of water to each bowl and whisk with a fork to help dissolve the sugar.
2. Rub the skin off the ginger with the back of a knife and slice very finely using a mandolin or V-slicer. Do the same with the carrot, cutting in half first and then slicing horizontally to create thin strips. Add the ginger to one bowl of the vinegar solution and the carrot the other. Mix well, cover and place in the fridge for a few hours or overnight (the pickled veggies will store for several days in the fridge).
3. Cook the brown rice in a grain/rice cooker or on the stovetop according to packet instructions.
4. Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together in a bowl, adding enough water to create a pouring consistency. Set aside.
5. Divide the rice between bowls. Place a cup of spinach on one side of the bowl and then spoon a pile of green peas next to it. Drain the pickled veggies and divide between the bowls.
6. Place your protein of choice in the middle of the bowl.
7. Drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle with black sesame seeds to serve.
Visit our online Education Hub RESCU Me Academy for our courses, free ebooks and resources.