Winter chill has us craving hearty meals that warm us up from the inside out. Contrary to popular belief, hearty can mean healthy, especially when you’re getting extra veggies into your meal and sticking to lean sources of protein.
Personal trainer and author of Healthy Eating for the Time Poor, Lisa Kathleen Daly, has you covered with this delicious Chicken Paella recipe. You can swap the chicken for beef or veal or increase and quantity of vegetables and omit the meat altogether for a vegetarian version. If it’s extra protein you’re seeking, simply crack an egg over the top at the end.
Image via pinterest
2 cups (330 g/12 oz) cooked basmati or brown rice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons garlic
500 g (18 oz) chicken mince (ground chicken)
4 tomatoes, diced chopped
1 red capsicum (bell pepper), sliced
1 medium zucchini (courgette), sliced
2 tablespoons liquid chicken stock
3 tablespoons squid sauce
1 teaspoon saffron threads or imitation saffron powder (optional)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 cup (130 g/4. oz) peas, frozen
1/2 bunch coriander (cilantro)
1 cup peas (optional)
1/2 bunch coriander
2 tablespoons chia seeds
yoghurt to serve
1. In a wok on medium–high heat, add the olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook for about 6 minutes or until soft.
2. Add the mince and cook, stirring, until well combined and the mince is brown. Add the tomatoes, capsicum and zucchini and stir well. Stir through the cooked rice and pour in the stock.
3. Add the squid sauce, saffron, paprika and turmeric and stir to combine. Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 15–20 minutes or until all the stock is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the peas, coriander leaves, chia seeds, herbs and spices. Cover for 5 minutes to allow the peas to warm through.
5. When ready to serve, garnish with natural yoghurt.
Place the Chicken Paella in a freezer container and allow to cool. Put in the freezer and defrost when ready to eat for dinner another night.
Visit our online Education Hub RESCU Me Academy for our courses, free ebooks and resources.