From the minute we saw the trailers for Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby, we envisioned a season’s worth of prohibition parties, 1920’s weddings and Gatsby inspired dinner parties. As it turns out, that season is turning in to two (or more) and we have to say, we just can’t get enough of Art Deco-styled events.
Given that The Great Gatsby is a story of unrequited love, indulgent fashion and decadent entertaining, it is no wonder the world has become Gatsby obsessed. With this in mind we thought we would share five simple secrets for how to style a Great Gatsby inspired event….
1. It is important to give a wink to the past but ensure your theme is modern and relevant, taking the best from the 1920’s and recreating a contemporary and exciting style.
2. The trick is to create a holistic experience. The Great Gatsby parties were fun, frivolous and unashamedly glamorous. This styling is not for the feint-hearted, it requires attention to detail and a great imagination.
3. Glittering crystal is a must-have accessory. Try Waterford Crystal Lismore Essence Champagne Saucers, they were featured at The Great Gatsby after-party and are essential for sipping Champagne Gatsby style. The new radically improved version of the 1920’s classic champagne saucer is guaranteed to create an extravagant roaring twenties-inspired celebration.
4. Highly decorated head and hand jewellery creates the theme, the general rule of fashion is to take something off before you leave the house, when it comes to The Gatsby style, add a piece!
5. Make-up should be barely there eyes with fabulous matte red lips….perfect for sipping champagne out of the sparkling Waterford champagne saucers!
Want a little real-life inspiration for your Gatsby-styled event? On Wednesday 14th August 6-7.30pm, Wedding List Co, Australia’s premier wedding gift list company, is partnering with the global leaders in crystal stemware Waterford and bridal gown couturier Karen Willis Holmes in a first-ever Great Gatsby Bridal Party. The event is open to brides, grooms and bridesmaids but places are limited so registration is essential. Register here.
Visit our online Education Hub RESCU Me Academy for our courses, free ebooks and resources.