As a majority of us find ourselves stuck in lockdown, it’s often hard to keep up with a sense of normalcy. It can be an intense time, but with our tips on how to maintain a sense of normalcy in lockdown and with an added at home body treatment, lockdown will end before you know it.
By Vaia Pappas, Naturopath + Beauty Therapist at Vaia Beauty
We have been asked to close our shops, homeschool our kids, cease the activities which keep us mentally sane like exercising, catching up with family friends and we are faced with the possibility of not attending our loved ones funerals or weddings and other significant days.
Tips To Maintain A Sense of Normalcy During COVID-19:
– Get some daily vitamin D- this is essential for mood regulation, helps relieve depression and is vital for healthy immune support (but practise social distancing)
– Invest in some essential oils for your household- I love Doterra. There is basically a different oil for different emotional and physical support. Whether we need immune boosting, respiratory support, relaxation and calming; this is a safe and healthy option that would benefit any household.
– Speak to a good naturopath about how you can optimise health and immunity. I, for example, have pre-blended bottles of immune tonics for my patients and am prescribing lots of vitamin C, D and zinc to boost a strong immune function.
– Meditate! It is easy, free and safe for all. This should be a daily practise for us all including children. There are so many resources available; YouTube or the Headspace and Calm apps are all wonderful.
– Write about your thoughts and feelings- such a great way of releasing our emotions and fears
– Nourish your body! Eat healthy food and eat less (since most of us are much more sedentary now), and don’t turn to alcohol to make yourself feel better. Alcohol is a depressant! I have seen lots of the school mums talking about stockpiling wine — this is not a healthy message for our children or our bodies. If we need destress step outside for some fresh air and again meditate or diffuse some lavender.
– Cook- now that we have more time to cook, create nourishing meals from the heart for our families (bone broth is my no 1 option)
– On homeschooling: Do the best you can. After all, we are not qualified school teachers. Use this period to enjoy your children and try and be hopeful for them. Try and teach them some important life skills like meditation, cooking, cleaning, sewing etc. It’s not just about maths and English
– Have baths and take care of your skin. Even if you are housebound, I believe in the double cleanse morning and night and now Is the time to up the ante on at-home masks, facial steams and cosmeceutical products so that our faces don’t fall apart.
At-Home Body Treatment: Gua Sha Detox
This ancient practise will help to purify the skin allowing the elimination of toxins. You will be amazed at how you feel when you try this.
– Simply mix aluminum-free bicarb soda with triple distilled vodka until it turns into a paste.
– I love to add a couple of drops of grapefruit essential oil to the mix for added detoxing and lymphatic stimulation.
– I apply this paste all over my body on a dry skin and give a thorough massage for at least 5 minutes then rinse.
– It is preferable to do this in the morning as once the treatment is complete, the skin should see direct sunlight.
For more health hacks and skin tips please follow us on Instagram @vaiabeauty