It’s the ultimate Australian dessert: The classic Pav. Cover it in cream, dress it up with black cherries and grated chocolate, or decorate with fresh strawberries and juicy mango. Any way you choose to top it, there’s one thing guaranteed – it’s going to be delicious.
Try a new take on the old favourite with this easy layered recipe featuring ripe red berries. It’s also gluten free so you can rest easy serving it to the whole table this Australia Day. You little ripper!
Aussie Pavlova Layer Cake with Red Berries
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
– 4 large egg whites
– 1 cup caster sugar
– 1 tbsp cornflour
– 2 tsp white vinegar
– 1½ x 250g punnet strawberries, hulled and quartered
– 2 x 120g punnet raspberries
– 350ml light cream
– Mint leaves to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 120˚C and line two baking trays with some baking paper. Draw a large circle (25cm in diameter) on each piece of baking paper
2. Place egg whites into an electric mixer and beat on medium high speed until stiff peaks form
3. Gradually add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and glossy
4. Gently fold in the cornflour and vinegar
5. Divide mixture evenly between trays and spread with the back of a spoon until they’re an even thickness
6. Bake for 50 minutes, swapping trays half way, until mixture is dry and crisp
7. Turn the oven off but leave meringues there for one hour, or until completely cooled
8. Combine berries in a large mixing bowl
9. Beat cream with electric beaters to soft peaks
10. Place one of the meringue discs onto serving plate and spread with one third of the cream
11. Scatter one third of the berries on top of the cream and place remaining meringue on top
12. Spoon the remaining cream on top and pile on the berries. Garnish with mint leaves and serve
The meringue discs can be made the day before. Keep them on the baking paper and store in an airtight container.
A slice of Aussie Pavlova Layer Cake with Red Berries is very low in sodium, a source of fibre and vitamin A.
Visit our online Education Hub RESCU Me Academy for our courses, free ebooks and resources.