Australia’s Next Top Model has returned to TV and we’re thrilled to have the divas, drama and divine photoshoots back in our weekly routine. To celebrate, we asked Troy Thompson, TRESemme Hair Director for Australia’s Next Top Model to share his inside tips to create one of our favourite hairstyles featured on the show – the perfect, polished, ponytail.
1. To start off your perfect pony, you need to smooth your hair with a straightening device. This will allow the ponytail to look as sleek as possible. Don’t rush this part of the styling because sleek, straight hair is the defining feature of a perfect low pony.
2. To create the perfect side part, create a low side part with a comb. Take a section of hair and using your straightener, turn slightly while straightening to create a slight ‘S’ wave. This will ensure that your part sits nicely in place across the fringe.
3. Spritz over your hair with hairspray and then brush through using a soft finishing brush.
4. Pull your hair into a low pony and hold in place with your hand. While holding, spritz lightly with hairspray and smooth dow carefully once more with a finishing brush. The perfect pony is polished, so it is essential for every strand to be neatly in place.
5. Secure ponytail in place using a bungee band rather than a traditional elastic band. Because these bands do not require you to loop your ponytail through them they will protect your style.
6. Wrap a section of hair around the band and secure in place with a bobby pin.
7. Smooth a sealing serum such as TRESemme Split Remedy Sealing Serum over the ponytail with your hands to hide any stray or frizzy hairs.
Voila! The perfect low pony!
Check out Troy Thompson’s video tutorial on the set of Australia’s Next Top Model to help you perfect this style at home.