Sponge Kisses are an ultimate crowd pleaser – whip up a batch of 10 delicious delights with this recipe by Liliana Battle, author of Food For Sharing Italian Style.
– 2 eggs
– 500 ml (18 fl oz) milk
– 60 g (2.5 oz) sugar
– 30 g (1 oz) custard powder, sifted
– 30 g (1 oz) cornflour (cornstarch), sifted
– zest of two lemons
– 4 eggs, room temperature
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 190 g (6.7 oz) caster sugar
– 65 g (2.5 oz) cornflour (cornstarch)
– 65 g (2.5 oz) custard powder
– 2 tbsp self raising flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 260 g (9 oz) icing sugar (confectioners’ sugar), sifted
– juice of 1 lemon
– edible flowers or glace cherries (optional)
1. To make the custard, put all the ingredients into a medium saucepan and whisk to combine. Cook on low heat, stirring, until thickened. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours to set.
2. To make the sponge kisses, preheat your oven to 180ÅãC (350ÅãF). Line two large oven trays with baking paper.
3. Put the eggs and vanilla into the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix, using the whisk attachment until foamy. Gradually add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, while mixing on medium-high speed. Continue mixing until the batter has tripled in volume, around 8 minutes in total.
4. Sift the cornflour, custard powder, self raising flour and baking powder into a bowl and mix to combine. Now sift half of the combined flours directly into the egg mixture. Very carefully fold to combine, then repeat with the rest of the flour. It is important to gently fold so as not to deflate the batter.
5. Place heaped teaspoon size dollops of cake batter onto prepared trays, leaving room for spreading. Cook for 8 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Allow to cool a little before removing onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice until smooth. It should be a thick pouring consistency. Add a little water or icing sugar as needed.
7. Take the custard out of the fridge and beat with a wooden spoon slightly to get it nice and smooth. Place a dollop of custard onto half of the sponge kisses and top with the other half. Spoon some lemon icing over the top, letting it drizzle down the sides a little. Top with edible flowers or glace cherries if you like.